How to Play Poker
We’ve included some products we think are useful for viewers. If you buy through any of these links, we will earn a small commission.
*As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Subscribe to wikiHow’s Weekly Newsletter for more helpful how-to’s:
Before you get started playing any type of 5-card poker, you’ll need to learn the 10 ways to win. In order from lowest to highest, they are:
1. High card.
2. Pair of cards, like two 2s.
3. Two pairs of cards, like two 5s and two 9s.
4. Three of a kind, like three 4s.
5. Straight, which is five cards in sequential order. For example, a player might have a 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 of any suit.
6. Flush, which is when a player has five cards of the same suit in any order. For example, a player might have a 2, 7, 10, Jack, and Queen of spades.
7. Full house, which is when a player has a pair and a three of a kind.
8. Four of a kind, like all four Aces.
9. Straight flush, which is when you have five cards in sequential order of the same suit. For example, a player might have a 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 of clubs.
10. Royal Flush, which is a straight flush containing a 10, Jack, Queen, King, and Ace.
If two people have the same hand, the person with the higher cards wins.
Here’s #howto play Texas Hold’Em:
• You’ll first need to bet your “ante,” which is your “buy in bet” to play the round. The ante is usually a small bet, like $1 or $5, and it’s decided by the table.
• Once everyone has bet their ante, the dealer will deal two cards to each player. Keep these cards secret from everyone else.
• Now, every player will take a look at their cards and choose whether or not to bet. Whenever there’s a betting round, you can choose to “fold,” which means not playing this round, “check,” which means matching their bet, or “raise,” which means adding more money to the betting pool.
• Players that are unwilling to “check” a bet have to fold; and if everyone but one player “folds,” that player wins!
• Once everyone has bet, the dealer will reveal three cards. These cards are known as the “flop.” When you see the flop, start planning what hand you want to make, keeping in mind that there are still two more cards to be revealed. For example, are your cards both diamonds, and did the flop include two diamond cards? In that case, you might want to aim for a flush, which is when you have five cards of the same suit.
• After the flop, everyone has the chance to bet again, before the dealer reveals the next card, which is the “turn.”
• Bet again if you want to, then the dealer will reveal the “river,” which is the last card.
• At this point, you’ll see a total of 7 cards: two in your hands, and five on the table. Now, players will bet once last time, then everyone will reveal their hand. Your goal is to create the highest hand possible out of those seven cards, even if it means only using one card from your hand and four cards from the table.
• The player with the best hand wins!
For more tips and strategies:
Follow our social media channels to find more interesting, easy, and helpful guides!
I’m here because of red dead
Watch dogs brought me here
After samay raina's stream
No Game no Life about me here
The whole first part where it explains how to win I was just thinking "so Yahtzee but cards"😅
Ty, summer time saga brought me here lol
Here from casino royale
After watching kakegurui now i want to learn how to gamble 🤣
Weebs: Here from Kakeguirui!!1!
Me: I just want to learn lol.
Poker vr brought me here
I HAVE NOT STOP GAMBLING FOR 5 HOURS STRAIT
I have no idea who Kakegurui is, i just wanted to learn to play poker but i am still confused
does it have to be 5 cards in order to get one of those pairs?
ex: what if I have a flush but only have 2 cards, and the flop only has 1, its not 5 cards, is it still a flush?
Fallout New Vegas brought me here
Summertime saga brought me here
in a royal flush do the cards have to be sequential or no
Who else came here to learn so they can actually play Discord Poker Night?
Nothing made me laugh harder that “when you see the flop”
My sharingan is awake
I am still super confused
D'arby elder made me do this
I’m here because of quackity
So you should only have 2 cards in your hand at a time, right?
Ross brought me here
I am coming d'arby
slowly puts away deck of cards
Kakegurui also brought me here 😂
I'm still kinda confused lmao
Here because of poker vr game lol
Casino royale brings me here.
are you speaking english? 😂 whats going on?
Wikihow has a YOUTUBE???
Hi stranger. Just wanted to let you know that Jesus loves you and so do I <3.
Who is kakeguri everyone is talking about?
I'm here cause of Red Dead Redemption
Bro RDR what got me here
Bruh I’m doing this for RDR2
I’m still confused
Red Dead brought me here
Red Dead Redemption 2 brought me here.
I'm a writer and I need to write a scene with poker-
rust got me here
the book im writing needs this video. im still confused
I’m here because of dead rising
Im here because of rdr2
This just makes poker so much more complicated 😐 , guys if you really want to learn how to play poker just mess around in some fake money games. I did it and I know the ins and outs of the rules
I just wanna know if I’m winning or not
woooo just won 30 bucks